Who ever said that the gym is the only place where you can achieve a successful workout in? Of course we all love the gym and there is nothing wrong with going to the gym, but what if you’re not able to go the gym for x reason? Do you just miss your workout all together? NO. You shouldn’t have to. Which is why I have put together a very detailed step-by-step post to help you set-up, prepare and achieve a successful WORKOUT at-home. No gym, no personal trainers, no monthly fees, no catch. Just a free guide and a few tips here and there.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase by clicking on the link, I may be compensated – at NO additional cost to you. Read the full disclosure here. My blogging dreams would not be possible without you, so thank you for your continous support. It means the absolute world to me! XO
HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL WORKOUT AT HOME:
1) CHOOSE THE PERFECT WORKOUT LOCATION
Choose a space in your home or apartment that you will be able to CONSISTENTLY workout in. Whether it be your bedroom, living room, office or the basement (if you have one) make sure you choose a place that:
- you feel comfortable in
- will MOTIVATE you to workout in
- has enough space for you to move around in.
- can be used during any time that you need to workout
- is NOT crowded
- the room temperature is fit
- is private (if you live with others)
I personally have a room in my basement that I consider to be my “mini-gym”. That room has an en-suite bathroom w/ a shower (how convenient?), cabinets for equipment (previously, kitchen cabinets haha), and a mirror. It is practically an empty room! It is also the coldest room in my house, which is a blessing in the summer and a curse in the winter. However, I make it work.
If you don’t want to exercise indoors, and you have a backyard, a patio or a deck and the weather is in your favor, use this space to get some sunlight and a good workout in. Ideally, choose a place that:
- is safe for you to do any kind of exercise in
- doesn’t interfere with neighbors or nature
- you feel comfortable in
- won’t distract you from your workout
2) EQUIP YOURSELF LIKE A PRO
BASIC EXERCISE EQUIPMENT
Once you have chosen a location to workout in, it is time to properly equip yourself. There is just so much you can get and if you truly enjoy at-home workouts you should definitely try to buy more equipment in the future. But for now, let’s just focus on the very basic equipment that will help you achieve a successful at-home workout. All of the items mentioned below could be easily purchased at a low cost. So, I do recommend you investing in these items (at least some) if you want to treat your at-home workout seriously, which I know that you do.
- Ankle/Wrist weights
- Resistance bands
- Stretching strap
- Yoga Mat
- Yoga ball
If you don’t want to invest money in any equipment, learn how to transform household items into exercise equipment here!
EQUIPMENT TO KEEP YOU MOTIVATED
The last thing you want to be when working out is bored, uninspired or lost. Your workout time should be a time that you look forward to during your day. So, to ensure that, you have to equip yourself with proper entertainment and motivation. The equipment I’m going to mention is something most people already own and use on a daily basis. Are you ready for it?
PHONE + COMPUTER
When you listen to music, you are naturally a much more happier, energetic, and motivated version of yourself. Music is a great energy booster – it makes you want to move and get some work done, doesn’t it? So, when you add in music to your workout, not only do you distract yourself from the pain, but you give yourself a little boost to keep you going.
TIP: create a few fun playlists for each muscle you want to work on
- abs playlist
- arms playlist
- biceps & triceps playlist
- legs playlist
- glutes playlist
That way, you won’t get tired of listening to the same songs over and over again.
Timers are so good to help you keep track of how long you spend on every exercise. They also they help you ensure that you complete each exercise on both sides of your body for the same amount of time. Timers are a great way to keep you conscious of what you are doing.
If you don’t know where to begin, how to exercise or what routines you should follow to train different muscles, YouTube is the place to go. From giving you workout ideas, to providing music and timers – YouTube will help take your at-home workout experience to the next LEVEL. I don’t think at-home workouts would be the same without the help of great fitness channels. I also don’t think I would currently be so insanely obsessed with working out if I wouldn’t have come across some amazing workout videos on YouTube. Not only have they helped me grow my passion for fitness but they have also helped me learn how to properly exercise while learning fitness terms.
Some of my favorite channels are Pamela Rf, Chloe Ting, Rebecca Louise, POPSUGAR, blogilates, and Koboko fitness. Most of these channels contain a variety of workout routines for different muscles, tips on how to improve your workouts, timers for each exercise and music to go along with the workout. Literally everything you need for a perfect workout and they’re all FREE.
Here are 5 of the best fitness channels on YouTube!
3) PREPARE YOURSELF PROPERLY
In order to have a successful at-home workout, you have to treat your home as you would the gym. If you take the time to prepare a gym bag for the gym, you must do the same for home. Your at-home workout prep-time is so so so important.
“By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail”
So how will you prepare for your AT-HOME workout? I will break it down for you…..
1. Get yourself a nice gym bag, if you don’t have one yet. I personally LOVE drawstring bags.
2. Fill out your gym bag, or better yet…your workout bag. Yeah, let’s call it that. I usually prepare my workout/gym bag before I go to bed or in the morning.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR WORKOUT BAG:
- Pre-workout supplements – If you take pre-workout supplements (I currently don’t), keep them inside of your bag.
- Stretching strap – I always stretch for about 10 minutes during my warm-up routine, so my stretching strap is always always in my bag!
DURING WORKOUT ESSENTIALS:
- Workout gear – Unless you are planning to exercise in the clothes you’re currently wearing, add in a CUTE workout outfit to your bag! Good workout gear will motivate you to workout.
- Waist trainer belt – This is absolutely optional! I personally find waist trainer belts helpful for posture, sweating and shaping your waist!
- Water bottle: I can’t stress enough how important it is to hydrate while working out. If there is one thing you can’t forget to bring to your workout it is your water bottle. If you won’t remember to get one before your workout, add one into your bag in the morning!
POST WORKOUT ESSENTIALS:
- Clothes – to change into after your workout.
- Healthy snack(s) – hunger after a good workout is REAL, so always be prepared to have something to snack on after you finish your workout.
Don’t know what to have after a good workout session? Here are 10 quick and healthy post-workout smoothie recipes!
4) PLAN FOR SUCCESS
Once you’re equipped and prepared, you have to set up a PLAN.
“A goal without a plan is just a wish”
DECIDE HOW LONG YOU PLAN TO WORKOUT FOR
- 15-20 minutes
- 20-25 minutes
- 30-40 minutes
- 45 min-1hr : *recommended*
- 1 hour +
Keep in mind that whatever time you choose now can be adjusted later on. If you want to start with 15 minutes and build on to that as you go – definitely go for it. However, the ideal thing would be to take one entire hour from your day to just work on your body (to stretch, exercise, walk)
DECICE WHAT TIME OF THE DAY YOU PLAN TO WORKOUT IN
- evening :*recommended*
Choose a time that works best for you and your schedule. If you’re an early bird and want to sweat in the morning, go for it. Otherwise, I truly recommend you get a workout in sometime after 5PM.
DECIDE HOW MANY DAYS OF THE WEEK YOU WILL WORKOUT
- 2-3 days
- 3-5 days
- 5 days: *recommended*
- 6 days
However, just like it is important to exercise consistently, it is important to give your body proper rest so that your muscles have enough time to recover.
I truly recommend you giving yourself two rest days.
FREE WORKOUT PLANNER
One of the best ways to remain consistent is to track your daily PROGRESS. And what a better way to track your progress than by using a workout planner.
Workout planners make you more accountable of the days you exercise and the days that you rest -which motivates you to workout more.
If you’ve never used a workout planner before or are in need of a new, fun & FREE planner – I have you covered. I created a fun monthly workout planner to help you plan your workouts!
MONTHLY WORKOUT PLANNER PDF
I have created a fun workout planner to help you keep track of your workouts. If you want to download this free PDF, enter your email below and you’ll get access to this workout planner PDF and my entire resource library!
Once you sign up, you’ll receive an email with the password to my resource library! Just enter the password and you’ll be able to download this workout challenge and anything in my resource library.
5) WORKOUT EFFECTIVELY
Once you have found the perfect “gym-like” location in your home, equipped yourself with the correct equipment, have properly prepared yourself & set up a game plan- it is time to get to the actual workout.
The warm up portion of your “workout” is probably the most important time of your entire workout. If you don’t warm your body up before working out, you are automatically putting yourself in danger of being injured. I personally learnt this the hard way (severe injury that I will share about in future posts) Which is why, I suggest that you take a few extra minutes before each workout, to warm-up and prevent an injury that can last for weeks and even months.
WARM UP TIPS:
- Take about 10-15 minutes to warm-up
- Do STATIC Stretches : neck, shoulders, triceps, abdominal, glutes, hamstrings & quads stretches. (15-30 seconds each)
- Do DYNAMIC Exercises : jumping jacks, push-ups, arm circles, leg swings, squats (20 seconds each)
Get your heart PUMPING and your muscles ready to work.
Once your body is all warmed-up, you are ready to workout. What you do during this time is up to you, as long as what you’re doing at-home will give you a good sweat as the gym would.
- Create your own workout routine with your favorite exercises (click here for 100 bodyweight exercises)
- Choose a muscle to work on & only complete exercises that target that muscle.
- Follow workout routines on YouTube
- Follow fitness apps & programs (if you have access to them)
- Try one of my workouts (click here)
After your workout take 3-5 minutes to stretch, so that your body cools down. This will also help you prevent an injury. So, please don’t skip this step!
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS:
After every workout, take some time to record your effort & progress. Use the workout planner that I provided for you or your own planner to record your progress.
Some things you can record:
- The muscles you worked on: abs, arms, glutes, etc
- How long you worked for: x amount of minutes
- Routines you followed: the name of the routine or video you followed
More Posts You May Like:
- At Home Workout Plan Basics | For Beginners
- 8 Benefits of Working Out At Home
- 100 Bodyweight Exercises To Try At Home
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Workout
I truly hope you were able to benefit from this post. Let me know in the comments if you enjoyed this post and if there are any at-home workout tips that you have!
Happy working out!
Until next time,
LET’S STAY CONNECTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA! XO
All the information/advice/tips given above are to inspire you, not to replace the advice of a professional. Although GABBYABIGAILL has taken much time, consideration and research to ensure the accuracy of the information displayed above, GABBYABIGAILL will not be responsible or liable for any actions taken by your part.